[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.0.47″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.0.92″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.95″ background_layout=”light”]
Here at The Phat Vegan, we take our ramen very serious! Between all of us, we have tried well over a dozen ramen recipes. By George, this is hands down the best one to date!
Original Post By: Serious Eats
This is the bowl of vegan ramen I’ve been working towards ever since I first ventured into the vegetable-based foothills of Mount Ramen two years ago. It has a rich, creamy broth that’s layered with flavor and thick enough to coat the noodles as they’re slurped from the bowl, plus little pools of glistening, flavorful fat, and four different toppings that deliver on texture and flavor. This is hands-down the best bowl of ramen I’ve ever made. And it can all be yours, with a little bit of heavy-duty climbing, that is.
Why this recipe works:
- A mix of charred and fresh vegetables along with dried and fresh mushrooms lends the basic broth rich, layered flavors.
- A soy-based tare made by simmering shiitake mushrooms and aromatics in soy sauce and mirin serves double-duty as a broth flavoring and a topping.
- Roasted sweet potatoes make a good topping while also thickening up the broth and giving it a rich, creamy texture when combined with pureed roasted garlic.
- Charred eggplant brings smokiness to the bowl.
- A mushroom-scallion oil adds fat and flavor to the finished dish, creating the sought-after shiny fat bubbles on the surface of a good bowl of ramen.
Notes: Kombu is dried giant sea kelp. It can be found in any Asian supermarket or most well-stocked Western supermarkets. Look for kombu with lots of white powdery residue on its surface. Shichimi togarashi is a Japanese seven-spice blend that can be found in Japanese markets. If unavailable, substitute with 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds. Mirin is a sweet Japanese cooking wine. If unavailable, substitute with 1/2 cup sake and 1 tablespoon sugar.
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_button _builder_version=”3.0.95″ button_text=”Get The Full Recipe” url_new_window=”off” button_alignment=”center” background_layout=”dark” custom_button=”on” button_text_size=”13″ button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_font=”|||on|||||” button_use_icon=”off” button_icon_placement=”right” button_bg_color=”#ff491b” saved_tabs=”all” button_url=”http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/vegan-ramen-miso-creamy-vegan-vegetarian-food-lab-recipe.html” /][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]