[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.0.47″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.0.92″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.97″ background_layout=”light”]
Photo by Farideh Sadeghin
Prep: 25 minutes
Total: 1 hour and 30 minutes
4 Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons|30 ml olive oil
1 cup|140 grams diced spanish onion
1 cup|136 grams diced poblano pepper
1 1/2 cup|230 grams finely chopped seitan
1 cup|131 grams Daiya mozzarella (vegan cheese)
2 tablespoons|39 grams pureed chipotle pepper (or adobo sauce from canned chipotle)
1 tablespoon|10 grams smoked paprika
kosher salt, to taste
canola oil, for frying
avocado and tomatillo salsa, for serving
1. Cover potatoes with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Drain, then transfer the potatoes to a boil and mash. Cool the potatoes completely. Reserve 3 cups, saving an extra for dinner later.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and pepper and cook until soft, about 15 minutes minutes. Cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix the onions and pepper with the mashed potatoes, seitan, cheese, chipotle, paprika. Taste for salt and heat and adjust accordingly.
4. Meanwhile, heat 3-inches of canola oil in a large saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 375°F. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, submerge the tortillas for 3 to 5 seconds to soften, then transfer to a baking sheet.
5. Let the tortillas cool, then spoon about 3 tablespoons into the center of each tortilla. Shape it into a cylinder and roll the tortilla tightly around the filling. Skewer 3 flautas together with the seams facing inward towards each other.
6. Working with one or two groups of flautas at a time, fry the flautas until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the flautas to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
7. To serve, remove the skewers from the flautas and serve alongside the avocado and tomatillo salsa for dipping.
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_button _builder_version=”3.0.97″ button_text=”Click here for the Full Recipe ” url_new_window=”off” button_alignment=”center” background_layout=”dark” custom_button=”on” button_text_size=”13″ button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_font=”|||on|||||” button_use_icon=”off” button_icon_placement=”right” button_bg_color=”#ff491b” saved_tabs=”all” button_url=”https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/9ammky/vegan-flautas” /][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]